Thursday 31 May 2012

Star Wars


Star Wars is a crucial part of the education of a 21st century kid. (I should know, I’ve never watched it!) It’s for the same reason as Greek Myths: it’s a part of our culture – everything alludes to it. If you haven’t watched Star Wars, you so many cultural references in books and in films and in your friends’ dialogue. Gradually you start to work out what all these references are about – when your friends go on for the umpteenth time about Light Sabres and Darth Vader, you start to realise what it is that they know and you don’t. Eventually, you realise that Darth Vader must be a bad guy (an evil emperor?) and that he must be the father of a good guy (how else can you explain Toy Story 2 ?). But while you understand certain things, you also know that you must learn more: because, I repeat – everything alludes to it: Lego sets, Apples to Apples, six year old birthday parties…. So even though I would definitely classify myself more as a book reader than a movie watcher, I am very glad that we have borrowed the first (or, I am told confusingly, the 4th) movie from the DVD rental place, and my ignorance in this vital area can finally be banished.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, indeed. Commence with thy education immediately.
Another icon in this modern age is Harry Potter. I read the first book not half a week ago, and am realizing now how much revolves around it.
You are not alone in this clueless mindset. I've learned more in my first (and last) six months of blogging than I had learned in all the years before. And I still have no idea what Doctor Who is...
One last thing, before I sign off: can you make comments open to the Name/URL option? Much easier for we Wordpress users. Thanks!

Liam, Head Phil

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting my humble blog. I didn't find the option you mentioned, but I will change the setting so that anyone can comment, not just blog-users. I will probably end up changing to Wordpress though; I created this blog because it was very easy, but I think Wordpress is better.

I'm surprised that you are only now reading Harry Potter! Many of my friends don't read it because it is against their conscience (it is not against my conscience, however, even though my beliefs are very similar to theirs). For book-readers who don't mind reading it though, it is very rare not to. And once you start, it is hard to stop!

Leinad

P.S I think it was "formidable" not "intimidating" – the word I meant to use when I commented on your blog.

Liam, Head Phil said...

Ah, thank you. It's much better to be known under my rightful title once more.
Yes, I'm only now reading HP, and I find that the first book is quite bad relative to the amount of press the series gets.

Unknown said...

I did enjoy books 3 - 6 more than books 1 and 2 (I haven't read 7), but while the series builds up and up, there is not a whole lot of variation in the quality of the series. If you didn't like the first book, you probably won't much like the series as a whole. On the other hand, the endings to books 1 and 2 were quite cheery. The endings to 3 onwards, and particularly 4 onwards, are much more sobre – which I know you prefer.